Re: BFFS 1.5

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

: >  2 = Turn on case independence.  If you are familiar with the
: >      Amiga filesystem, you probably want to turn this on.
:
: I feel I should strongly recommend to NOT set this option.
:
: The AmigaOS file system is _defined_ to be case independent. Same for
: MS-DOS and OS9 native file systems.
:
: The Unix file systems, however, are defined to recognize case. E.g., Makefile
: and makefile are two different files on Unix.

The option doesn't make the filesystem "lose" case - files written on the
Amiga size use whatever case you give them (unlike Win99, which mangles case
way too much).

This is a very useful option if, for instance, you actually want to store
Amiga files on that partition.  Those need case independence when accessed
from the Amiga side.

(My Amiga's LOCAL: partition, NetBSD side /local, uses it.  Of course, my
A3000 sits at the bottom of a filled closet, and really needs some fresh
air.  ;)

--
-- Todd Vierling (Personal tv%pobox.com@localhost; Bus.
todd_vierling%xn.xerox.com@localhost)