Subject: Re: don't login as root
To: netbsd-amiga <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Georges Heinesch <ghmlist@ibm.net>
List: port-amiga
Date: 08/18/1998 12:55:00
Quoting Markus Illenseer (16-Aug-98 21:44:37):

>> Why should I not login as root (as opposed to logging in as user
>> and making su to switch to root)?

> Main reason: Security reasons. You want to use the super user
> account
> only when installing system- or security-related stuff.

Well, if I startup my system to install some system- or security-
related stuff, I might as well become root right away. I don't really
see the point. It takes a little longer (no big deal) and it leaves
you more time to think "if you really have to become root", but if
you have to install stuff like that, you end up becoming root one or
the other.

> All the
> rest, ie. /usr/pkg/ should be installed as member of the group
> "wheel" -  that's what this group is for.

You mean that user e.g. 'admin', which should be in group 'wheel',
should do this, right?

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    geohei@ibm.net - geohei@geocities.com

... all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal ...