Re: PPPD hangups

>>>>> "Ignatios" == Ignatios Souvatzis <is%jocelyn.rhein.de@localhost> writes:

Ignatios> On Mon, Aug 10, 1998 at 09:44:46AM -0500, J T Gill wrote:
>> SOmeone had asked about pppd exiting on a hangup a couple of weeks
>> ago, and I deleted the response to that, can someone repost it.
>> Every so often I'll get up to go get a drink, or sometimes just in
>> the middle of a session my ISP will hang up, and I can't restart
>> pppd, because the old one keeps running.

Ignatios> Sounds like either:

Ignatios> - the clocal bit is set in the tty (could be a flag in
Ignatios> /etc/ttys, or an option to pppd)

Ignatios> - your modem is not configured to let DCD go down when the
Ignatios> carrier is lost.

Actually, our fix for this quite annoying problem was to have the
following script be invoked by the incoming PPP users:

#!/bin/bash
(sleep 10; stty -clocal)
ppp -direct cuaa0

This is because ppp _always_ sets clocal on, regardless of direct and
regardless of the cuaia0 and cuala0 settings.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Velocet Communications.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dgilbert%velocet.net@localhost             |  equal if and only if
they |
|http://www.velocet.net/~dgilbert             |   are precisely opposite.  |