Subject: Re: Netbooting in NetBSD/amiga?
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Sune Stjerneby <bwulf@image.dk>
List: port-amiga
Date: 07/30/1998 02:31:48
On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 08:18:07AM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> > What are the prospects on getting a NetBSD/amiga based system booted
> > via the network?
> >
> Note that I didn't test this ever...
>
> - however: you can build a kernel with the right options to enable net booting.
>   if you hard-code the filesystemtype "nfs" as root file system, it will even
>   do so unconditionally.

I can report that I was able to netboot an Amiga with nothing but loadbsd
and the 'GENERIC' kernel (both retrieved by NFS in AmigaDOS from the netboot
server), using the '-a' flag and specifying 'le0' as a boot device.

The server only required 'rarpd' and 'bootparamd' and an exported root
filesystem with NetBSD/amiga.

I'll try compiling a kernel that defaults to NFS, so one could slap a kernel
and a bootstrap on a 1.76mb floppy and use it to boot any suitable Amiga on
the network.

--
// Sune Stjerneby
<bwulf@image.dk> [2:238/260.4] (++45 56 21 99 88) {Denmark, EU}