Re: some more questions..

Hi!

Juha Sievi-Korte <davy%sci.fi@localhost> wrote:
[..]
>1. How to make /dev/audio work..? i tried amp a while ago and encountered
>problem.. something unable to open audio..? and /dev/audio: device not
>configured. Waht should i do with this to get it work??

You have four audio channels on the Amiga and thus, devices /dev/audio0
to /dev/audio3 are created.  xanim and other audio capable programs look
for a device /dev/audio (without the digit).  Simply creating a soft link
to the audio channel of your choice does the job.  As "root" do:

     cd /dev
     ln -s /dev/audio0 audio

Should solve your problem.

>2. Should 'makewhatis' update the database for man? I tried to run it but
>didn't get new manpages for tcsh, amp, screen etc. which i installed..? Is
>there anything else i should do.?

"man" searches the path you set in the environment variable "MANPATH".  You
may give a colon (:) separated list of directories.  Thus,

     setenv MANPATH /usr/man:/usr/pkg/man:/usr/X11R6/man

makes man look into /usr/man, then /usr/pkg/man and last into /usr/X11R6/man
to find the manual pages requested.  Alternatively there is a global con-
figuration file /etc/man.conf  (I'm not sure about the location, use
"man 5 man.conf" to verify) where you can enter a standard man.

Unfortunately "xman" does not use the configuration file, so if you
prefer this tool for man page browsing you'll have to set MANPATH anyway.

Maybe the place you installed the manual pages is not searched?
Another possibility is you did not delete old pages contained in a
directory searched before the place you put the new ones in.  Last thing
that comes to mind is you may have forgotten to update the preformatted
man pages in the "cat" subdirectories.

"makewhatis" builds a database for the "whatis" command, containing the
header lines of the manual pages.  See apropos(1) and whatis(1).

Yours,

   Michael B"ohnisch