Subject: Re: 1.3.2 Install
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bernd Sieker <bernd@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 07/13/1998 15:01:43
On 13.07.98, 10:50:25, Michael Boehnisch wrote:

> Ola Olsson wrote:
>

> You created the miniroot filesystem on the swap partition, so you
> should boot from it (sd3b).  This is only needed until your root
> partition is set up correctly, then you want to boot from sd3a.
>
> >I'm next prompted for the "dump" device. What is the dump
> >device? At first I assumed it was the SWAP partition so I entered that
> >(sd3d).
>
> I'm myself pretty new to NetBSD but I suppose it's the same as
> Sun's dump device.  In case of a severe kernel crash a safe place
> is needed to create a memory dump. This allows post-mortem analysis of
> the crash.  Simply creating a core file on one of the mounted file
> systems is not too smart: you can easily trash a partition with a system
> in an unstable state.  The swap partition is a good choice, you have
> no need of it's contents any more after your system panics *that*
> badly :-) and it's guaranteed to be big enough to fit a whole
> memory image.

Correct. At the next reboot, the "savecore" routine copies the kernel
off the dump (usually swap) partition to /var/crash/ "man savecore"
should tell you more.

During install, enter "none" as the dump partition.

> >Last I'm prompted for the file system. I just hit return to
> >use the default "generic" although I've tried NFS and others just to

"generic" tries to figure out the fs type automatically, but in almost
all cases this will be ffs.

> >see what would happen. In any case, the installation never goes
> >anywhere.

Double check the DOS types in HDToolBox and that the reserved blocks
at the beginning and end are both 0 and copy the miniroot again.

--
Bernd Sieker