Subject: Re: is this normal?
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 07/02/1998 19:37:14
On Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 01:23:07PM +0200, Anders "ali" Lindgren wrote:

> Ok this is exactly my situation. Iconifying the window eases it up *a
> lot*. It's definately a problem with X not getting enough CPU rather than
> an overall crippling of the machine, because as soon as I run a
> compile/configure niced, the problem is as good as gone, while still not
> taking more time to compile. I love nice. :-) Probably it's because X
> doesn't have higher priority than any other user process. And as Bernd
> pointed out, the occassional 60-85% time used up by kernel must be the IDE
> driver (the A4000 IDE isn't too good to start with so...)

well....

this is the key to the problem.

Basically, for 68040 and 68060, you should compile your X server (and libraries
used for it, and maybe all of X11) with the -m68040 (or -m68060) options.

Else gcc will create floating point instructions not there on these CPUs,
making the process much slower than you'd think it should be. (And: the
kernel trapping will trash the instruction cache, so it gets even slower).

I think somebody wrote this on this mailing list a couple of months ago.
Can somebody check the archive, please?

Regards,
	Ignatios