Subject: Re: is this normal?
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Joerg Kollmann <joergk@Informatik.Uni-Bremen.DE>
List: port-amiga
Date: 07/02/1998 14:22:01
On Thu, 2 Jul 1998 01:35:31, Bernd Sieker wrote:

> On 01.07.98, 13:28:00, Anders ali Lindgren wrote:
> >
> > What puzzles me is when I run configure-scripts and make programs.
> > X is rendered pretty much useless and responds to user input
> > something like once a minute, and then for a fraction of a second.
>
> What probably takes up most of the time is swapping, and on a non-DMA
> hard disk system like A4000-IDE it uses CPU-time, too.
>
> Adding more RAM will probably ease the situation a lot, although
> I knwo that this is not easily done on a stock A4000.

I'm using an A3000 with CS-MKII-060 board, 32MB RAM and a Spectrum
graphics card, and I'm experiencing similar problems, even if the
system doesn't swap at all. After starting configure, the mouse
pointer moves perhaps one time every few seconds, so X11 isn't really
usable any more. I think the problem is related to the graphics card,
because if I iconify the xterm which is executing configure or make,
everything works fine again.

--
Joerg Kollmann