Re: chap/pap

On 28.06.98, 19:36:21, JT Gill wrote:
> I've been running NetBSD for over a year now, all the way from version 1.1
> up to 1.3.2 (just today, in fact) and recently my IP switched to pap/chap
> for authentication, and now I can't pppd in with NetBSD.  I've read the
> man pages,and tried various options, even calling tech support (and
> you can probably guess how helpful that was, since I don't have win95,
> which is odd, because their machine is running BSD), but to no avail.
> ANybody got any hints or tips on setting up netbsd to use pap/chap
> as the machine that is dialing up another?

Add a line "user <your_ppp_user_name>"
in /etc/ppp/options

and create a file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets (or chap-secrets) that
contains your ppp username (also called "client"), the server name
(for simple setups usually a *) and your ppp password in a single
line.

Do no longer use a complicated chat script, that waits for a login: and
Password: prompt, just have the script dial and wait for CONNECT; pap
should do the rest.

The rest of the options and other setup can usually be left as it was.

Do not add any pap or chap lines to the options file, most of these are for
ppp server side setup; pppd will automatically detect if the server requires
pap or chap authentication.

Remember to make the secrets file only readable by root (mode 600 or 400),
as it contains a cleartext password. Encrypted passwords might work, too,
but I never got this to work myself.

For more details I found the pppd manpage very helpful.

--
Bernd Sieker