Re: Writable Amiga dos file system

On 24 Jun 1998, Georges Heinesch wrote:

> >> I also ran the AmigaOS/fsck version (which is included in the BFFS
> >> 1.5beta archive) [...]
> >>
> >> Can't AmigaOS/fsck fix this inconsistency?
>
> > In most cases there is probably no inconsistency to fix. But even if
> > AmigaOS/fsck fixes some problems, NetBSD will run fsck again for the
> > reason explained above.
>
> But if the CLEAN flag would have been set by BFFS, fsck would not
> print the message "MAKING FILE SYSTEM CLEAN", right?

Maybe AmigaOS/fsck doesn't touch the clean flag at all ... ?
(If you use it on a clean filesystem, the filesystem stays clean and
NetBSD does not check it again.)

However, there is one big difference between both fsck versions:
AmigaOS/fsck can only be used if the filesystem is mounted, while
NetBSD/fsck can only be used if the filesystem is not mounted (or mounted
read-only in the case of '/'). So there may be a "conceptional difference"
concerning the handling of the clean flag.

On the other hand the AmigaOS/fsck from the BFFS 1.5beta was derived from
NetBSD sources sometime in 1994. Does anybody know whether there have been
changes to the NetBSD filesystem since then, that may perhaps cause
incompatibilities?

Regards,

Stefan Hensen

Stefan Hensen