Subject: Re: Writable Amiga dos file system
To: netbsd-amiga <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Georges Heinesch <ghmlist@ibm.net>
List: port-amiga
Date: 06/24/1998 18:10:00
Quoting Stefan Hensen (23-Jun-98 01:50:51):

>> [BFFS 1.5beta]

> ..., but the current version seems not to
> include such things.

Is Chris Hooper (or somebody else) still working on BFFS?

>> I also ran the AmigaOS/fsck version (which is included in the BFFS
>> 1.5beta archive) after AmigaOS accessed a NetBSD file system in
>> writing. It reported a couple of things but no error. My point was
>> that it also didn't "fix" the file structure of the NetBSD file
>> system, making a subsequent fsck (when NetBSD was started) still
>> necessary.
>>
>> Can't AmigaOS/fsck fix this inconsistency?

> In most cases there is probably no inconsistency to fix. But even if
> AmigaOS/fsck fixes some problems, NetBSD will run fsck again for the
> reason explained above.

But if the CLEAN flag would have been set by BFFS, fsck would not
print the message "MAKING FILE SYSTEM CLEAN", right?

>> [dir, dir all, list]

> This is probably caused by some symbolic links not being handled
> correctly. Even "list all" stops in some cases with this error
> message. I did not test this in great detail, but it is clear that
> not all symbolic links on NetBSD partitions can be handled correctly
> by BFFS. Think, for example, of links on '/usr' with absolute path
> names (beginning with '/') or links from '/' to subdirectories of
> '/usr'. If '/usr' is located on a separate partition, it is mounted
> below '/' on the NetBSD side, but "parallel" to it on the AmigaOS
> side and, therefore, these links can't work on the AmigaOS side.

This was actually my next question, if it isn't possible to tell BFFS
to mount the partitions the same way they are mounted by fstab on the
NetBSD side.

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    geohei@ibm.net - geohei@geocities.com

... because water just isn't wet enough !