Subject: Re: BFFS 1.5
To: netbsd-amiga <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Georges Heinesch <ghmlist@ibm.net>
List: port-amiga
Date: 06/21/1998 07:37:00
Quoting Stefan Hensen (20-Jun-98 16:15:41):

> On 19 Jun 1998, Georges Heinesch wrote:

>> According the docs, BFFS 1.5 can be used via a Mountlist (or
>> DOSDriver) or via the RDB.

> That's right. I have successfully used both methods.

Mee too now, thanks to this article ;)

> AFAIK, there is no way to change these names, but you can choose
> some more meaningful device/unit names. For example, I used
> 'BSDROOT:' and 'BSDUSR:' as device names for NetBSD's '/' and '/usr'
> partitions in my mountlist, DOSDrivers or RDB entries, respectively.

That's what I did now:

BSDROOT:   19M   10233    9592  52%   0  Read/Write BFFSa
BSDVAR:    19M     825   19000   4%   0  Read/Write BFFSb
BSDUSR:   241M  150655   96968  61%   0  Read/Write BFFSc
BSDHOME:  144M      31  148440   0%   0  Read/Write BFFSd
BSDUSRLOCAL:  463M    5670  468936   1%   0  Read/Write BFFSe

That was my mistake. The initial DOSDriver was called BFFS. Later on I
changed it into SD0D (and now it's called BSDVAR). The C:Info part
above was taken before I changed it into SD0D.
Sorry for the confusion.

> On my system (using the above mentioned names in mountlist or RDB),
> the corresponding lines look like this:
>    Mounted disks:
>    Unit      Size    Used    Free Full Errs   Status   Name
>    BSDROOT:   48M   16731   33312  33%   0  Read/Write BFFSa
>    BSDUSR:   897M  674565  244440  73%   0  Read/Write BFFSb

Do you only use 3 partitions?
/, swap and /usr?

>>    After thorough study of the docs, I didn't quite get what the
>>    PreAlloc Keyword is for.

> This field can be used to set certain options of the filesystem
> concerning things like handling of symbolic links, case sensitivity
> in file names, mapping of protection bits for group and other,
> read-omly mode etc.. It is recommended to use BFFStool (included in
> BFFS 1.5) to test these options and finally insert in the mountlist
> the PreAlloc value displayed by that program.

What do you use as PreAlloc and Reserved?

btw, what is the Reserved keyword for? I changed it to several
settings but that didn't visibly change anything.

>>    Besides this, the BFFSFileSystem behaves somewhat strange when
>>    it comes to mounting. "mount SD0D:" doesn't trigger the
>>    partition icon to appear immediately. First, an access to this
>>    partition has to be done. Then it appears. ACTIVATE=1 is set in
>>    the DOSDriver and the DOSDriver icon tooltype.

> When the RDB method (see below) is used, the icons appear
> automatically after a few seconds.

Correct. Got that as well now.
But while mounting with the DOSDrivers, it still appears only after
the first access whatever I change.

>>    The disadvantage to
>>    this scheme is that for every UNIQUE file system Identifier you
>>    want to mount as a BFFS filesystem, you have to add the BFFS
>>    filesystem to the RDB with that Identifier.
>>    ----- cut here -----

> If you want to mount NetBSD root partitions as well as other
> partitions with BFFS, you have to install the BFFS filesystem twice
> in the RDB:

> 1.) with identifier 0x4e425207 ('NBR\07') for the root partition
> 2.) with identifier 0x4e425507 ('NBU\07') for all other partitions

Since you didn't include 0x4e425301 ('NBS\01') for the swap aprtition,
it isn't mounted. Is there any reason why swap should be mounted?

>>    Is there anybody who is using this method with the RDB to access
>>    NetBSD from AmigaOS?

> For me, it works in the above described way without problems.

After this exhaustive article, it also works for me.
Many thanks Stefan!

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    geohei@ibm.net - geohei@geocities.com