Subject: Re: Writable Amiga dos file system
To: netbsd-amiga <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Georges Heinesch <ghmlist@ibm.net>
List: port-amiga
Date: 06/21/1998 05:30:00
Quoting Patryk Łogiewa (03-May-98 03:32:07):

>>> Yes, this is true, but you can do it the other way round: Mounting
>>> BSD-Partitions under AmigaDOS. For this you need the
>>> bffs-Filesystem.

>>>  ftp://ftp.uni-regensburg.de/pub/NetBSD-Amiga/tools/bffs-1.31b.lha
>>> (You can also download the 1.5 beta if you want)

>>1.5beta is from august 22nd 1996.
>>Are there any known problems with this one (since it is still beta)?

> It makes writing to netbsd partitions possible but I experienced
> some problems after using it this way. The safest method AFAIK is
> still to READ ONLY NetBSD partitions from AmigaOS side and READ ONLY
> AmigaOS partitions from NetBSD's side.

I tested BFFS 1.5beta for a while now in writing mode and did not
encounter any problems, except the NetBSD/fsck reports "MAKING FILE
SYSTEM CLEAN" after AmigaOS accessed a NetBSD file system in writing.

Is this normal and/or unavoidable?

I also ran the AmigaOS/fsck version (which is included in the BFFS
1.5beta archive) after AmigaOS accessed a NetBSD file system in
writing. It reported a couple of things but no error. My point was
that it also didn't "fix" the file structure of the NetBSD file
system, making a subsequent fsck (when NetBSD was started) still
necessary.

Can't AmigaOS/fsck fix this inconsistency?

However in reading, I encountered the following problems.

- "dir" is possible
- "dir all" doesn't work properly. It stops with a "directory not
   found" error.
- "list all" works fine again.

Any ideas?

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    geohei@ibm.net - geohei@geocities.com

... N1, TO/GA, 80 KTS, V1, ROTATE, Postive climb, Gear up ...