Subject: Re: Xamiga PicassoII support
To: None <mteske@c-s-k.de>
From: Anders \"ali\" Lindgren <ali@h543.sparta.lu.se>
List: port-amiga
Date: 06/16/1998 21:55:30
On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Michael Teske wrote:

[snip stuff about >8bit support in Xamiga]

>That is because of the reversed byte order in these modes (comes from
>using a PC chip without special logic. The CV64 and PicassoIV for example
>have such a logic). Since the "standard" X sources don't contain support
>for these byte orderings and for 24 bit - only 32 bit is supported - one
>would have to rewrite the whole cfb16 and cfb24 sources.

Oh hmm I never knew of course. :/

[snip]

>So I ended up with throwing the 16bit part away and left this task for one
>who actually has a picassoII, but up to now, nobody did it (and probably
>never will).

I guess so. As usual I don't have the time to contribute on such
a major project myself either (or the know-how to start with :( ).
Well, the 8bit mode works great though, and I guess using
more than 8bit in 1024x768 on a PicassoII+ would be streatching it far
anyway. It's just a pity I can't run it in 16/24 bit in lower resolutions.

>16 and 24 bit modes are deadly slow on a picassoII, anyway.

Actually 800x600x16 is fine on P2+ even though I have a slow
A3640 CPU-board. Or I'm just a very tolerant person. :-)
Though X isn't very usable in such low resolutions of course...

I guess getting a CV64-3d is easier... :-)

regards,
/ali: Computer Science Major and aspiring cartoonist. :-)
(dept) dat94ali@ludat.lth.se - http:// www.ludat.lth.se/~dat94ali
(home) ali@h543.sparta.lu.se - http://h543.sparta.lu.se/
* a4ooo/o4o/18Mb/46oMb/OS3.o/Ariadne/C=1942 - cogito, amiga sum *