Interesting pppd problem - bug?

I have been experimenting with dialin logins and running pppd once
connected.
Recently I recompiled the kernel to allow for 2 ppp interfaces.
I use ppp0 for my normal connection to the net. I use ppp1 as the dial
in ppp server.
There is no problem with ppp1 coming up - I can ping the net and the
computer which is connected to ppp1. However once the peer to ppp1 hangs up
and pppd removes it's routing entries, I also "lose" the ability to use
ppp0! Pinging the net results in packets going to my LAN instead. All the
usually ppp0 routing entries are still present and valid.
A traceroute produces the following result, instead of the usual trace.

# traceroute computer.on.net.com
traceroute: Warning: Multiple interfaces found; using a.a.a.a @ le0
traceroute to computer.on.net.com (x.x.x.x), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets

And then locks up... It can't seem to find my local ppp0 interface...

Any ideas?
          _   _
         ( \-/ )_.-'"``-._                  "My Cat, Wolfy"
        =(v_,)=  _  )--\\  ``-'      astaude%silas.cc.monash.edu.au@localhost
        _.- _..-_/ / ((_/                   (Anthony Staude)