Subject: Installation issues
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 06/07/1998 22:53:48
 This weekend I let install a user NetBSD/Amiga on his A3000, 2 internal
SCSI drives, 1 external CD-ROM and 1 external CD-R from CD-ROM.

 First issue:
xstreamtodev did - of course - not work the first time. It only hang up the bus
while seeking on the CD-ROMs for the Partition called "swap". The -unit
paramter (or poweing down the CD-ROMs) did helped.
 We really should introduce RAM-Images very soon, as Ignatios proposed
lately.

 Second issue:
laodbsd refused to work, because the installed ixemul.library was not equal
or greater than 39.  This was not true, the installed version was V47, from
Fred Fish. GoBSD helped.

 Third issue:
During the installation the partitions are newfs'ed. At one place I would
have expected the question which partition to use for /usr - it never
was posed, and I had to edit the temporary fstab in order to install one.
I couldnt find a mentioning in the INSTALL about how to procede with /usr,
it definetely is requried during the extract process.
Did I miss something?

 Forth issue:
A Bug this time. The graphics board "Merlin" console driver seems to have
a bug: The text console starts about 40 pixel from the top.
The last text line is cropped and the two very last pixel lines are beeing
displayed at the top of the screen. Very annoying. We had to "shutup" the
board during installation. grfconfig worked great for X11 though. Only the
console fails to be displayed correctly.

 The entire installation procedure is way too complicate. What could
we do to ease it? Is there a NetBSD-Project for all plattforms for the
installation procedure?

--
Markus Illenseer