Subject: Re: "Shallow" X
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kenneth Lind <kenneth.lind@mbox2.swipnet.se>
List: port-amiga
Date: 04/23/1998 21:44:36
On 18-Apr-98, Todd Vierling wrote:
>On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Kenneth Lind wrote:

>: >> ioctl VIOCGSIZE: Can't obtain memory      (or something like that.
>: >...
>:
>: >  This error could be due to trying to use a display mode that doesn't
>: >support more than 4 bit planes.  Only the dbl-ntsc, dbl-PAL, and Super72
>: >modes will support 8 bit planes, and they normally need to be explicitly
>: >enabled with the "-A" option to loadbsd or the bootblock loader.

>This isn't quite the right explanation.  It's not DblNTSC or DblPAL, but
>rather the enabling of AGA that is required.  (ECS videomodes include
>DblNTSC and DblPAL, but only up to 4 colors.)

>Try enabling AGA modes with a loadbsd -A option.  I don't know if the server
>will try to switch into Dbl{PAL,NTSC} automatically (if it does, it is
>horribly broken and should give you a way to pick).  Normal NTSC and PAL
>videomodes _do_ support 8 bitplanes on the AGA chips.

I'm afraid it goes straight into Dbl-mode. I left out all
GFX-options except AGA, NTSC and PAL once when I configured a
kernel.. I guess I don't have to tell you that it booted with
a black screen and stayed that way.
But I'll try to find some old VGA-monitor to use for NetBSD
instead. Unless it can be taken care of in some other way.(?)

Anybody have a 16-colour config for Mozilla?

--
 /
/  Kenneth Lind

Amiga1200/B1240/40MHz - 32MB   WB3.kludge   NetBSD 1.3 & X11R6