Subject: Re: AfterStep (fwd)
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <tooleym@douglas.bc.ca>
List: port-amiga
Date: 04/06/1998 02:44:36
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 02:42:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: tooleym@douglas.bc.ca
To: Georges Heinesch <ghmlist@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: AfterStep

> I just downloaded the AfterStep (window manager) archive from their
> Homepage (www.afterstep.org). On their homepage, it doesn't say if the
> code runs with NetBSD, Linux or whatever. Since the page is powered by
> Linux, I'm afraid that AfterStep only runs with Linux ;(
>
> - Is anybody running AfterStep with NetBSD/amiga 1.3?
>
> - Where can I find window managers running with NetBSD/amiga 1.3?

As a matter of fact, I am using AfterStep with my amiga 3000 ECS. I don't
have a lot of colours available for x programs to use, so a lot of them
fail, like xfmail, xsokoban, most of the built-in modules (asmail
especially), and so forth. xv works wonderfully.

Anyway! I got it running by creating a 4bpp set of entries for my display
screen, and AfterStep works quite nicely once all the setup has been done.
Changing the "look & feel" as they call it in the middle of a session
produces garbage, but restarting it after changing works well. Also, the
Wharf is annoying.

But it's one of the smallest and it's very pleasant to use. There's only
ONE problem--if you open a GIANT window then there's no way that I know of
to move it down some to see the top of the screen like twm and so forth
do.

For instance, when I open a chimera window, I have to open it while my
main viewscreen is on one of the lower three (of six) virtual windows in
order to see the line where i can enter in an http address..  man I need a
gfx card. :)

AfterStep is also FASTER than the included window managers.

One more thing: If you want a list of window managers, do a yahoo search
for x11 window manager list and look through the returns, one of them will
be a fantastic page with plenty of different window managers that are out
there.

But go for AfterStep, I've compiled and tried a number of different window
managers and afterstep is the best and fastest on my machine, even if it
is a bit unpolished. :)

ttyl,

Marc
tooleym@douglas.bc.ca