Re: Linux on Amiga

On 01.04.98, 16:31:00, UDP-Alex Bartonek wrote:
> I was considering installing FreeBSD or whatever its called on the
> Amiga...

Actually NetBSD is called NetBSD on all platforms, FreeBSD is
i386 only.

> I am currently running Caldera OpenLinux on my PC, and was very
> impressed, and contemplated on installing
> Linux on my Amiga.

NetBSD is not Linux, but there is Linux for Amiga, too.

> My system specs are:
> A3000 030
> 18 megs ram
> CV64 4 meg (i think..i cant remember...but if there is a 4 meg, then i
> have one..if not, then its the 2 meg)

That one is fully supported and there's a nice and quite fast Xserver
for it.

> 2.5 gig IDE hd
> Dataflyer IDE controller
This one is not supported by NetBSD. With an A3000, best get a nice
SCSI hard disk (they are not _that_ expensive these days.) That will
work fine with NetBSD.

I think I will never understand why people with a good SCSI host
adapter on the mainboard of their computer should want to
install IDE drives.

--
Bernd Sieker