Re: NetBSD problems

Ben Bogart asks:
> > > Hello,
> > > I am having troubles installing Netbsd 1.21 on my A3000. On my first
> attempt
> > > installed netbsd on a zip drive on my 3000 and the following happend when
> > > attenmpt to boot into the miniroot for the first time:

> > > ask boot ...
> > > Fast mem ... chip mem ...
> > >
> > > Then the system freezes.
> > >
> > > As a test i then moved the zip drive, kernel, ixemul lib and loadbsd onto
> > the
> > > A2000 and did the same things and it does boot, no freezing..
> > >
> > > So as near as i can guess there is something in my 3000 that the generic
> > > kernel does not like thats not in the 2000.
> > >
> > > Stats on the machines.
> > >
> > > A3000
> > > GVP EGS Specturm video card
> > > 8meg expansion board
> > > Fast 12 Chip 2
> > >
> > > everything else is stock to my knowledge.
> > >
> > > A2000
> > > 68030 accelerator
> > > 2meg expansion board
> > > Fast 8 Chip 1

My guess is the 8meg expansion board is the culprit. Can you please find out
where the kernel is initially loaded to? (loadbsd -t tells you that).

(There have been reports that z2 mem handling is somewhat broken, but I
never had the oportunity to really test this, and anyway, I suspect an A3000
with 12Meg fast is lots faster than an A3000 with 12 meg fast and 8 meg Z2).

Regards,
        Ignatios