Subject: Re: Tweaking/disabling Spectrum console?
To: George Coulouris <glc5@cornell.edu>
From: David Meiklejohn <meikled@ZETA.ORG.AU>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/10/1998 12:54:10
On 10-Mar-98, George Coulouris wrote:
>Is there a kernel flag to tweak or disable the Spectrum console?

Yes, there is a flag (forget what its called, but its obvious enough) in
your kernel configuration file.  I used that to disable the console on my
Picasso IV, since I was having the same problem as you.  Now I have
to connect a 15kHz monitor to my A4000's video out, if I want to see
the console messages as the system boots.

>If I boot with my spectrum installed, the console comes up on a
>screenmode that my plain-jane VGA monitor doesn't like. In the interim,
>I've removed the spectrum and am running the deinterlaced output of my
>3000 straight to the monitor.

>I'd like to be able to either change the spectrum console mode such that
>it uses a generic VGA scanrate, or disable the spectrum console
>altogether.. Are there kernel flags to do this? (BTW, where are kernel
>flags documented? Moreover, where can I get kernel sources/objects?)

Kernel sources are in the sys source distribution, if I remember correctly.

Is the Spectrum a Cirrus based board?  If so, you'll find a file called
grf_cl.c in the dev directory of the Amiga kernel sources (and grf_??.c
for other boards).  In there you will find a data structure which sets the
initial console mode clockrate and timings.

When I changed that and recompiled the kernel, it fixed the sync problem,
but for some reason the console text on the Picasso IV output is now
scrambled.  I haven't been able to figure out why.  If you're lucky, that
is a Picasso IV specific problem.

In any case, you will need to get the kernel sources to be able to make the
changes you are wanting.

Regards,
David Meiklejohn