gdb help.. this is just a help question..

I'm running gdb and I want to step through a program I've compiled..
However when I try to set breakpoints it refuses, giving me the following
error:

(gdb) break 72
Breakpoint 3 at 0xda: file test.c, line 72.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr3/home/sudog/test
Cannot insert breakpoint 1:
Error accessing memory address 0xc0: Operation not permitted.

What's this all about?
I've compiled with these flags:

gcc -c test.c -D(some defines) -ggdb -o test

I've also tried just plain ol' "-g" without any options..

Anyone have a quick note to tell me what I'm doing wrong? I've tried
setting breakpoints, I've tried setting arguments differently, I'vbe tried
compiling it differently, I've also tried using it as another user (even
root gives me this error!) and no dice.

Thanks,

Marc Tooley
tooleym%douglas.bc.ca@localhost