Subject: Amiga Netbsd and Multiface serial card FIFO problem
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: AS <astaude@silas.cc.monash.edu.au>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/03/1998 08:38:14
I have recently upgraded my modem to 56K and as a result
changed my pppd daemon to talk at 115200 baud to the MFCIII
serial port (instead of 57600).
Anyway I have now been getting LOTS of fifo overflow errors:

Mar  2 19:00:15 amadeus /netbsd: mfcs1: fifo overflow
Mar  2 19:00:49 amadeus last message repeated 7 times
Mar  2 19:02:36 amadeus last message repeated 30 times
Mar  2 19:09:29 amadeus last message repeated 124 times
Mar  2 19:22:52 amadeus last message repeated 48 times

Before this (when running at 57600) I got one every week - if that. Not
this multitude that I am getting now.

Anyway, what can I do (apart from slowing down back to 57600BPS)?
Is there any other option I can add/remove when I am compiling the
kernel???
Any help would be appreciated - and thanks for that defaultroute
pppd/routed problem before!!!
______________________________
Additional Info:
I am running 1.3 with a self-compiled kernel. In the conf file there
were options for increasing the FIFO for standard Amiga serial port but
nothing for the MFC. (I would imagine because of it's lack of true
hardware FIFOs?). I did this as I use the standard serial pot for a
serial Apple Laserwriter II NTX.
However during this time the only thing I had running was apache running
as http proxy, socks5, pppd, samba, one login, and a couple other misc.
system processes.
I have an A3000 and an A3640 68040 card with 16mb fast ram, a Spectrum
2Mb Video card, A2065 ethernet and the MFCIII serial card. I have the
latest Buster (11) and SCSI controller but still the original DMAC and
Ramsey (as the _new_ ones refused to let SCSI function reliably).
I especially bought the MFCIII serial card to allow for this type of
situation. I knew I was eventually going to get a 56K modem and run the
serial port at 115200 - but perhaps it is not capable???
I remember reading other posts about people who have had problems with
their MFCIII when they have the A3640 installed.
          _   _
         ( \-/ )_.-'"``-._                  "My Cat, Wolfy"
        =3D(v_,)=3D  _  )--\\  ``-'      astaude@silas.cc.monash.edu.au
        _.- _..-_/ / ((_/                   (Anthony Staude)