Subject: Re: nm can't find strcat.o and friends in libkern
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: David W. Talmage <talmage@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-amiga
Date: 02/18/1998 14:52:04
>> In private e-mail, Mr. Souvatzis wrote;
>> depend', and 'make all'.
>>
>> 'make links' terminated with a complaint: swapnetbsd.o: not found
>>
>> 'make all' terminated with nm's complaints about "No such file or
>> directory" for lots of .o files it should have been able to find in
>> libkern.
>
>I just tried it, and:
>
>make links is the culprit. I dont know for the moment what it is SUPPOSED to
>do, but:
>
>- it never was part of the official way to build a kernel (same for make all)
>- currently it breaks the build directory as setup from "config".
>
>Start again with "config", then "make depend", then "make".
>Nothing else.

Thanks to all who replied.  I found the real answer.

It seems that there were some old .o files in libkern.   I don't remember
making them.  When I removed them and did "make depend" and then "make", I
got a kernel that I could boot.

That led to another problem which I'll ask about in another message.

David Talmage