Subject: Re: X11 and mc68060...
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
From: Ruben van Staveren <ruben@luna.net>
List: port-amiga
Date: 02/09/1998 09:21:02

> > Really? Why exactly?
>
>  Same way as -040 binaries wont work on -000: Different instruction set.

Well, you name something completely different here, like missing instructions
to my knowledge, the -m68060 does instruct our patched gcc not to use
machine instructions that would make the mc68060 go in supervisor mode
to emulate them in software. Even the generic kernel is compiled with
-m68060 right ? so this kernel could not even boot on 680[234]0.
The only slight disadvantage is loss of performance on pre 060 cpu's due
to using the (faster-in-their-point) 060 friendly instructions.

And Yes, you're right, NetBSD does not support plain 68000.

> --
> Markus Illenseer

Regards,
	Ruben