Re: Formatting a second drive

>#thecreation:/home/emiller> newfs /dev/sd1a
>newfs: /dev/sd1a: Device not configured
>
>The drive is configured for SCSI ID #1 hanging off the back of the 2091
>controller's DB25 connector.

That just happened to me.  Here's the scoop.  When you partitioned the
drive with HDToolbox, you put a magic number in one of the boxes.  There's
a special magic number for the boot partition, another for swap partitions,
and a third for everything else.  You probably put the third one in the
box.

NetBSD wants to use the 'a' partition to boot.  If you didn't put the boot
partition magic number in the box, you'll confuse NetBSD.  Chances are, if
you newfs /dev/sd1d you'll get the result that you want.

David W. Talmage
ITT Systems & Sciences Corporation
talmage%cmf.nrl.navy.mil@localhost,
http://www.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/CCS/people/talmage/
Unsolicited advertising e-mail is not welcome.