Formatting a second drive

Hi,

I just attached another drive to my Amiga running NetBSD 1.2.1 (soon to be
1.3 when I get the drive working).  The drive works fine with my Mac and I
have partitioned it under AmigaOS according to the documentation as an
"other" drive.  What I need to do now is format it using NetBSD.  I
thought it'd be simple, but I get this:

#thecreation:/home/emiller> newfs /dev/sd1a
newfs: /dev/sd1a: Device not configured

The drive is configured for SCSI ID #1 hanging off the back of the 2091
controller's DB25 connector.

What else do I need to do to make NetBSD happy?  Do I need to low-level
format it using AmigaOS or transfer a filesystem to it somehow?

Thanks!

Eric