Subject: Re: Bootblocks...
To: None <edelcamp@easynet.fr>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/20/1998 09:43:20
Eric Delcamp asks:

> I have a similar configuration, but I have some problems with memory
> configuration.
> I have a 16MB module and 2 x 4MB on my A2632. Add to this the initial 4MB
> from the A2630 board, and 2MB from an A2091 (forget about the 1MB chip RAM ;-).
> That's why I get a memory map with lots of holes !!

Which doesn't matter with NetBSD. Everything (with exception of the kernel
and its data structures created at early startup) can be arbitrarily mapped.
Just a bit more work on disk accesses, worst-case (more DMA segments).

> If I launch the 2632 utility and then loadbsd, NetBSD only use the biggest
> memory segment (16MB). But if I add the reboot switch option to 2632 util,
> then Netbsd use all my memory after the reboot.
> In all the case, startup messages from Netbsd show all memory segments.
> Another problem is the fact that onboard A2630 4MB couldn't be used with
> burst mode. How Netbsd cope with this ??

Not at all.

The memory system copes with it by refusing to burst, and the cpu creates
4 individual longword accesses instead of cache bursts.

This is fully transparent to the software (if it doesn't watch a highly
resolved clock ;-)

> And I think that my A2091 2MB is only used for bounce buffer. Right ?

Err, Z2 memory? err... don't know by heart. What does the kernel startup
tell you?

	-is