Re: beginers guide and a little problem

>    Anyone know any good guides/docs/web pages for a complete novice in UNIX,
> if possible specific to the Amiga.

 There is no Amiga-related UNI*-book. But you are lucky: NetBSD/Amiga
is very very close to a real UNI* and every good UNI*-book will therefore
be suitable for your needs.

>    Covering things like how to configure screen modes, passwords, getting
> Xwindows to work, how to get a printer to work, using the floppy drives etc.

 Apart from X Window and sceen modes, all this is covered by the average
UNI*-book.

>    The docs I've seen so far have been how to get it onto your harddrive and
> running, then your on your own, the man pages help with somethings, but it
> helps if you know what your looking for, some of the UNIX file names are bit
> cryptic.

 We never said NetBSD is for beginners. Not even for intermediate.

[...]

> Does UNIX have to be connected to a network for Xwindows to run ?

 Yes. At least "localhost" must run. This is default anyway.

 [...]

> But this file is not on AmiNET, so I assume if it exist's its somewhere else,
> I'll do a search on the Net for it.
> If ListModes is no good, is there an equivalent program somewhere ?

 You can get all Amiga-related NetBSD stuff on ftp.uni-regensburg.de
in pub/NetBSD-Amiga/  ListModes is an AmigaDOS-programm which will
convert the settings into a grfconfig-able file. Only issue: I believe
the grfconfig options have been changed between 1.2.1 and 1.3 NetBSD.

 Again to your general UNI*-book question: get yourself into a nice
bibliothek and find the UNI*-department. Any book about BSD and even
part of the Linux-books will help you. If options and design differ,
use the man pages.

--
Markus Illenseer