Subject: Re: problem with fsck under 1.3, can't install
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/16/1998 16:57:21
In article <199801161650.RAA01752@cauchy.cs.uni-bonn.de>,
	Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de> writes:
> Because you can tell the bootloader to pretend you have less memory (say,
> only 40 Megs: -m40960, like me on my BIG machine) ...

If the kernel can't handle more than 64MB it shouldn't try do use it
without any special option to "loadbsd".

> ... and build a kernel with a bigger table easily...

Easily? It's not even documented which parameters you have to tweak.
There should at least be a "MACHINE_WITH_LOTS_OF_RAM" option.

> ... while people on a 68030/16 machine with 8 megs
> would need much longer to build a kernel which doesn't take 2 megs away.

People with such machines will probably drop Unix on Amiga sooner or later.
But people with advanced Amigas are the ones which might continue to use
it if they don't get bothered with such limitations.

--
Matthias Scheler                                http://home.owl.de/~tron/