Subject: Re: bad files? PLUS MORE 1.3 UPGRADE
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/05/1998 10:12:53
Hello,

> I am having great difficulties trying to upgrade to the Amiga 1.3 release.
> I wrote the miniroot to my swap (39M, sd1b) and
>
> loadbsd -b netbsd
>
> where netbsd is the 1.3 kernel. It boots up, tells me that it's a generic
> 1.3 kernel, then asks me for the root filesystem. I type in sd1a (which

This is wrong. As the INSTALL document told you (line 1258, thats in the
first paragraph after the "* Once your kernel boots:" line), you should
have typed in sd1b. Remember, you have copied your install filesystem onto
your swap partition!

> also happens to be the default). It then asks me to type in the dump
> filesystem. (I assume it means swap, since that's the default  it gives
> me.) sd1b I type. This is not in the INSTALL file!

By the way, in case its not clear from the text, you type in the same,
(or a different if you like) for the dump device; thats the kernel crash
dump, and hopefully never needed. Normally you use the swap device for this.

The real swap isn't configured by the kernel any longer, but at multi-user
startup time. The INSTALL document explains this beginning with line 1334
"* Swap configuration".

Regards,
	Ignatios

P.S.: Your From: address is misconfigured. You might thing this is an
Anti-Spam-Measure by you; in reality it makes your mail undistinguishable
from spam. In a few days, my systems will be configured to refuse e-mail
with invalid from addresses in order to block spam.