Subject: Re: Installation problems
To: Sverrir Valgeirsson <sverre@netch.se>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 11/18/1997 12:05:45
Hi Sverrir,

> > > My computer setup is:
> > > A1200 030 50Mhz (no FPU)
> > > 5.5 MB Memory
> >
> > whats 5.5MB? 5 MB fastmem + .5 MB chipmem?
>
> 2MB chip
> 3.5 MB fast (actually 4MB but .5MB is used for AmigaOS)

This explains it.

Even at 4 MB, the new kernel (which is much bigger than last years') is at
the limits of the memory.

At 3.5 MB, I can understand that it crashes if no swap is configured, or maybe
needs hours to swap (if swap was configured).

It looks like the bootloader you used doesn't know how to get that .5 MB back.
You can force loadbsd to use all the 4 MB by typing

loadbsd -m 4096 netbsd
[where netbsd is the name of a kernel accessible from AmigaOS]

Or you can try NOT to copy the Amiga ROM into Fastmem.

If both of these options don't work, ask again. I guess we have room enough
to add the swapctl/swapon command to the miniroot, so that you can activate
swap for the installation...

Regards,
	Ignatios