Subject: IDE and large transfers
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Patrick Johansson <patrick@cd.chalmers.se>
List: port-amiga
Date: 11/10/1997 11:21:06
I have difficulties using my Maxtor 540M with NetBSD1.2.1, it could be
the infamous 128K IDE "limit" that makes strange things happen:

My A4000 also has a Quantum 1.2G which runs fine with NetBSD. But with
the Maxtor I sometimes get problems when reading large files. I
discovered this after I made a copy of /usr onto the Maxtor, changed
fstab to use it instead as /usr. After that I did a 'make' in /usr/src.
But cc stopped several times on errors which actually didn't exist.
Typing 'make' again made the compiler happy for another 20 (or so)
files.

So I did a 'diff -r /usr /altusr'. This found differences between
the two copies of /usr/share/web2. 'diff' on the two files reports
nothing, but the 'diff -r' gives different output every time.
The Maxtor copy is missing a "large" number of lines.

On all Amigados partitions I have set MaxTransfer to 0x1fe00 (or
whatever), is there anything similar in idesc that takes care of
problems with large transfer? I took a quick look but found nothing
obvious (to me)...

/ Patrick Johansson - patrick@cd.chalmers.se