Subject: Re: IP translator
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Net BSD Support <bsd@blkhole.resun.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 07/20/1997 22:23:18
On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> > Can the -current release co-exist with the real 1.2 release?
>
> no.
>
> While most -1.2/-1.2.1 programs will (at least partially) work with a
> current kernel, programs like mount, swapon, vmstat, ps, w, systat
> won't be able to interpret kernel data correctly.

This was a fair way of interpreting the original question, as I had poorly
phrased it.  I was actually thinking of the source trees when I asked the
question.  I didn't believe that the objects would be compatible.  It did
point out an area where I would have eventually run into problems, if I'd
tried using 1.2/1.2.1 programs with a -current kernel.

I really would like to have the IP translator.  As I see it, I have these
choices:

1) I can see if I can get the -current source tree installed in such a way
that I can keep 1.2 around so that I can revert back to it, if need be.  I
don't know if I can do it on one of my current partitions, or if I'll need
to get another HD added to the system before I proceed.

2) I can try and integrate the IP translator package into the 1.2 release,
since it is claimed to be functional in that release on other platforms.
This wouldn't make much sense, if 1.3 were going to be released RSN.

3) I can wait for 1.3.  :-)

Of the people that are in the know about such things, what path would you
recommend, if you were trying to obtain the functionality?

Thanks,
--
  Don Phillips         bsd@blkhole.resun.com
  Research Unlimited