Subject: Bi-directional getty + security issues
From: Net BSD Support <bsd@blkhole.resun.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 07/02/1997 11:36:47
Hi, All:

I'm a lot further along in getting NetBSD operational on my machine.  I
believe that I have it to the point that I can at least manually make all
of the connections, both upstream and downstream from me that are
required.  I'm now trying to automate the process.

To do this, I need to use my modems in a bi-directional manner.  I know
how to do this under SVR4.  I don't know what the correct method is under
Net BSD.  The sysadmin's manual (Nemeth) that I have for BSD indicates
that you should set 'bi' in the definition for the tty.  I don't believe
that 'bi' is understood by the getty that is provided with NetBSD.  When I
try and open the port, when getty is attached to it, I get nothing back to
the program.  So question is 'What is the correct way to do this?'

Also, getty insists on changing the ownership of the tty port to
root.wheel, and setting the protections to 600.  When uucico tries to use
the port, it fails, since it is running suid uucp.  I've seen where this
happens in the source for getty, so I could change this, but I'm wondering
if I'm missing something.

Thanks for any suggestions.
--
  Don Phillips         bsd%blkhole.resun.com@foxtail.com
  Research Unlimited   or ...!foxtail!blkhole!bsd