Re: Installing & Booting NetBSD 1.2 under SVR4

On Sat, 14 Jun 1997, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> Don Phillips <bsd%blkhole.resun.com@localhost> sees this:
>
>    warning found rdb->secspercyl(1530) != rdb->nsectors(81) * rdb->nheads(19)
>    warning lp->d_sparespercyl (9) not multiple of lp->d_ntracks(19)
>
> Don, just ignore this.
>
> Your HDTOOLBOX or whatever you used to format, used 9 sectors per cylinder as
> replacement spares.. while our code complains, that it isn't a multiple of
> 1 sector per track.

FWIW, it was HDTOOLBOX.  9 seems to be an odd number, in view of the fact
that there are 19 heads per cylinder.

> NetBSD will work perfectly with your disk. It only addresses the disk
> using logical block numbers, which the disk itself translates.

This was the case.  I did get paranoid and cleared off one of the disks
so that I could have an entire drive to play with.  I copied inst12-fs
and Michael's boot block code, using 'dd' under SVR4 to the swap
partition.  I also determined that you can get into all sorts of trouble
if you have more than one root partition.  :-)  I booted to the swap
partition, using '-baASc 300' and successfully installed the base
release.  Yay!!  And thanks to everybody that provided the useful
suggestions.  After getting / set up, I installed the new boot code on
the root partition, and by using 'ASc 3000', I'm able to boot
successfully from the / partition.

I figured out where the internal serial device lived, and was able to
make a PPP connection to my ISP.  I've managed to get all of the source
downloaded (after about 6 hours :-).  I can probably provide an addition
to the INSTALL doc that would provide the procedure, if anybody is
interested.

I've been looking at the source for the msc device.  I've also looked for
docs on how to configure and set up the device.  If somebody can point me
to them, I'll be more than happy to read them.  In the event that they
aren't readily obtainable, I have a few questions:

What is the major device number for the msc?

What are the standard device names for the msc?

Does 'getty' support bi-directional ports?

If not, is there a good bi-directional port implementation that is UUCP,
TIP & CU friendly that I can use?  Where can I find it?

Thanks again to everybody that provided suggestions.  All of them were
helpful, and provided me with the information that I needed.

--
  Don Phillips         don%blkhole.resun.com%foxtail.com@localhost
  Research Unlimited   or ...!foxtail!blkhole!don