Subject: Re: Installing & Booting NetBSD 1.2 under SVR4
To: None <bsd@blkhole.resun.com>
From: Doug Lee <douglee@douglee.gts.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 06/17/1997 13:05:58
:My question now is that I'm getting two warnings"
:
:warning found rdb->secspercyl(1530) != rdb->nsectors(81) * rdb->nheads(19)
:warning lp->d_sparespercyl (9) not multiple of lp->d_ntracks(19)
:
:It then offers to install on that drive.
:
:My question is:  Do I care about the discrepency?  It would be a really bad
:thing if NetBSD ended up scribbling on the rest of my HD due to the warning.
:
:Looking at things, rdb->secspercyl should probably be 1539, with
:lp->d_sparespercy (171).  But what do I know?

I found the same problem when I installed a Quantum Fireball_TM3200S drive.
HDToolbox reports 5 heads 159 blocks per track, 793 blocks per cylinder.
I changed this to 1 head 793 blocks per track and the warning disappears.
The disadvantage is that HDToolbox will destroy your partitioning
information in the process. Since this was a new empty drive running in parallel
with my old one, I was free to experiment and just changed it.

If you were to write down the start and end cyl information for your
existing partitions, you might be able to re-enter them after changing the
drive type information. I suspect you would have to re-calculate the start
and end cyl numbers to compensate for the changed drive geometry.
I didn't try this myself and don't suggest you do this unless everything is
backed up or you are very adventurous :-).

:
:--
:
:  Don Phillips         bsd%blkhole.resun.com@foxtail.com
:  Research Unlimited   or ...!foxtail!blkhole!bsd
:  Escondido, Calif.    My opinions are just that, and no more.
: