Subject: Re: Installing & Booting NetBSD 1.2 under SVR4
To: Greg Baldwin <drizzit@eskimo.com>
From: Don Phillips <bsd@blkhole.resun.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 06/13/1997 16:56:41
Greg wrote:
> It may be that he is trying to load NetBSD using Kickstart 1.4.  If I did
> not softboot into 3.1, NetBSD always told me that I had an A500/A2000.  If
> I remember correctly, the loader searches out for a resident file in
> memory called 'A3000.bonus', which only exists under 2.x and 3.x.

Whether I tried loading directly after power-up, or after booting to KickStart
2.0 from the HD, then loading BSD, the results are the same.  It reports that
the HW is an A2000/500.

> Might it be a better idea to look at the hardware instead?  A3000s were
> the only machine to use a rv D Ramsey chip (the A4000 used a rv G Ramsey).
> Could we not peek into memory address $DE0043 (byte-width ID for the
> Ramsey) and compare it to see if its $0D (the ID for a rv D)?  It should
> be fairly safe, because I have never heard of anyone who has dropped a rv
> G Ramsey into their A3000 (I don't think it'd work, anyways).
>
> Comments?

I wouldn't mind looking into this, after I get a working system.

--

  Don Phillips         bsd%blkhole.resun.com@foxtail.com
  Research Unlimited   or ...!foxtail!blkhole!bsd