Subject: Re: Installing & Booting NetBSD 1.2 under SVR4
To: None <bsd%blkhole.resun.com@foxtail.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-amiga
Date: 06/12/1997 00:17:24
On Jun 12,  7:49am, Markus Illenseer wrote:
> > Thanks.  I've gotten a lot further now.  I've reached the point that I
> > I believe that NetBSD is actually running.  It is asking for the root-device,
> > as per the docs included with the bootblock program.  I'm not yet familiar
> > with the NetBSD names for devices.  Where I am apparently wants the name of
> > the root device in a format of fd%d, sd%d or cd%d.  I can't yet look at a
> > working system, or read man pages to figure out what the correct input is.
>
>  Use sd0 (or was it sd0a?)
>
> [...]
> > Entering sd0 or sd6 causes a panic and we're dropped into the debugger.
>
>  Then you haven't set the DOS-Type of the partition corrctly.

  No, he's not following the instructions exactly - when booting from
the miniroot, the device has to be "sd0*".  The '*' is required.  If
not, then the kernel attempts to mount the root file system on the 'a'
partition - but there is no file system there yet and will panic.  The
'*' indicates that the root filesystem is located on the swap ('b')
partition.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			osymh@montana.edu