X and 256 colours.

Hi all,

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but I'm quite new to this lark.

What I'm trying to do is run X or even the standard console in 256 colours.  My
current setup is:

Amiga 1200 68030, FPU, MMU, 16Mb Fast 2Mb Chip
NetBSD 1.1
Xdanvier
+ Plenty of harddisk space.

Unfortunately I have no multi-sync monitor and this seems to be the problem!

Running LoadBsd with the option B to enable the AGA chipset seems to cause the
display to use some scan doubled display which I'm unable to display on my TV
:(  If I Run LoadBSD without this option when ever I try to change the display
to a depth of 5, 6, 7 or 8 it complains that there is no memory.

Being a bit of a programmer I had a look at grfabs_cc.c and I noticed that
there is in fact no support for AGA without a multi-sync monitor.  I therefore
bunged together a few of my own routines by combining what was available to
what should produce an 8-plane display and while it works fine for 1 to 4
planes, when ever I try to use 5 to 8, all I get is a black screen.

Has anyone tried to do the same thing?

Also, is there another place with Xdanvier source, for some unknown reason, I
can't get a connection to ftp.uni-regensburg.de ?

Thanks in advance, Gizz!

|  "Yes you with the stray hair" - Maxim Reality - Phoenix 1996  |