Re: config options

   From: "Eric Delcamp" <edelcamp%alienor.fr@localhost>
   Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 13:47:52 +0100

   In a current config file (like GENERIC), there are several options that
   seems to be unused.

   - options (68020 | 68030 | 68040 | 68060). If I enable one and disable
   others (like 68030 for example), the makefile doesn't change, except for
   68060. In my example, I want the CFLAGS -m68030 be passed to compiler.

Doen't make any sense. There is no difference in the user programming
model 68020/30/40, and the supervisor mode differences are handled by
inline assembler or by locore.s functions, anyway. Thats where
"options M68040", e.g., comes in: conditionally compile in support for
that CPU's MMU / cache.

And unfortunately, the compiler does not know how to schedule stuff
for the different CPUs very well.

   - same problem with 68881. Why the -msoft-float flag is alway used ?

The kernel doesn't to floating point. We dont want to save/restore
floating point context on kernel entry/exit without context switch.
-msoft-float is used to make sure the compiler will never create it.

   - usage of the GRF_PAL. If I enable it with GRF_NTSC, no problem (My Amiga
   is a PAL version). If I disable it, no problem. If I enable it without
   GRF_NTSC, at boot time, screen will be blank (but NetBSD boot ;-).

sounds like a bug. you should send-pr it.

   - last, how to disable A2232 driver debug on console ? (recent addition in
   the 12/17 sup).