Subject: Re: xmgr
To: Daniele Carnino <snaz@medianet.lognet.it>
From: Stefan Hensen <hensen@wpos4.physik.uni-wuppertal.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 12/19/1996 20:48:26
> I'm looking for a precompiled version of xmgr for Amiga NetBSD, since I'm
> not able to compile it by myself (hey, I'm an architect, not a
> programmer! ;-).
>
> Does anyone knows a site where I can download it?

The problem with xmgr is that for compiling it one needs OSF/Motif.
As far as I understood from some discussion recently on this mailing list,
Motif is not (yet?) available for NetBSD/Amiga. One main reason seems to
be the high license fee. I actually don't know what kind of license would
be neccessary and what the prices are.
Perhaps, somebody else can answer this?
(I guess it would be neccessary to compile the Motif libraries etc. from
the sources, if no kind of "binary distribution" is available ...
And I can imagine that licenses for sources are very expensive.)

BTW: There exists a (statically linked) version of the text editor Nedit
for NetBSD/Amiga (at the moment, I can't remember who has ported it).
As far as I know, Nedit also requires Motif, so it seems that such programs
can be somehow compiled on NetBSD/Amiga.

Regards,

Stefan Hensen