Subject: More swap space => more core dumps
To: port-amiga <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Yli-Urpo Jussi <y137948@proffa.cc.tut.fi>
List: port-amiga
Date: 12/17/1996 20:59:44
Hello everyone!

A couple of days ago I added a new swap partition on my
A3000 running NetBSD 1.2. I thought it would help when there
is lots	of swapping (I have only 8 Mb of fast ram).

Well, maybe there was a little increase in performance but
since then there has been too many crashes of programs like
Xamiga, xterm and tcsh and this is making me sort of
nervous. Xamiga has for example made a core twice in two
days... There was lots of free swap space when the crashes
occured.

The swap space was added on my second harddisk (sd0). This
is an output of 'pstat -s':

Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/sd1b       21488     4088    17400    19%	  Interleaved
/dev/sd0b       36640     5176    31464    14%    Interleaved
Total           58128     9264    48864    16%

There is also many network errors coming from the ariadne
device. Typical errors are framing error, crc mismatch,
missed packet and babble. These mostly occur when there is
some swapping. Is there any other way to better situation
than buying more memory or/and 040-060?

I have a standard A3000 with EGS Spectrum and Ariadne.
I'm running X11R6.1 with Xamiga compiled for cirrus based
gfxcards only (from uni-regensburg).

Thanks in advance.

--
Jussi.