Subject: Re: 68060-specific scheduler?
To: None <markos@acropolis.net>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 12/17/1996 08:59:09
a) NetBSD/Amiga already runs superscalar on the 060.

b) NetBSD/Amiga runs with branch prediction, although not in -1.2 (-current
   beginning with today)
   The reason this wasn't doen earlier is that some code needed to be changed
   in the task switching for this to work. Read the M68060 Users Manual about
   the details.

c) For better code, you have to  change the compiler. You're free to do this
   and contribute your changes to the NetBSD and the GNU project. I even guess
   people are working on this.. but as a kernel programmer, I must have a
   compiler which is absolutely reliable (not absolutely fast, thats secondary)
   so if in doubt, Ill leave the compiler alone.

d) Yes, AmigaOS does fast task switching. But AmigaOS does NOT do
   task (and kernel) memory protection, automatic resource deallcoation on
   task exiting, virtual memory, multi user.

   I don't claim NetBSD is as fast as it could be, but it certainly isn't
   fair to compare it to an OS which only does one third of its job.

   And, btw, NetBSD does faster networking :-) I measured 160 kB ftp over
   ARCnet with 68060, 130 kB/s with 68030/25MHz, disk to disk.

   And it has a faster standard file system.

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis
	(just having committed branch prediction to the kernel)