Subject: Re: sound in NetBSD/Amiga
To: None <jose@REVERSING-ASTHMA.COM>
From: Stephan Thesing <thesing@cs.uni-sb.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 12/11/1996 12:40:02
Hi !!
You wrote:

   Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 10:49:30 -0500 (EST)
   From: Jose Alburquerque <jose@REVERSING-ASTHMA.COM>
   Sender: port-amiga-owner@NetBSD.ORG

   Hi.  I'm trying to get sound going on my NetBSD-1.2/Amiga system.  I
   downloaded the audio-src11.tar.gz file found in the experimental
   subdirectory, thinking that it was usable.  I applied the patches like the
   insturctions said and made the kernel.  I know the patches worked because
   my beep is now coming in stereo as opposed to coming from one speaker (I
   have 2 speakers connected to my amiga) which is what it did before.  The
   problems I encounter are the following:

      1) I cannot "make modload" (ie. load the lkm) unless I'm in single user
	 mode

AFAIK modules can only be loaded while the system is in security level 0 (or -1), which is
the case in single user mode.
After executing /etc/rc, the system goes multiuser and the security level is raised to 1
(see init(8) for further description)
You can easily add the loading of the kernel modules in rc.local, just have
a look at the Makefile and the 'modload' target commands.

      2) once I `MAKEDEV', and I try `cat samp2.au > aud0' It replies:
	 aud0: Device not configured.

   Does anyone know why this is happening?  Is there an easy fix?  On the
   same line of questioning, is this as far as amiga sound is going to go or
   can we expect more (eg. a /dev/audio device, etc.)?  Thanks.

   -Jose

Bye....
	Stephan