Re: Difficulty refuted, linking problems.

> Hi. Why is the installation of the operating system so dificult? I

It's not so bad to get NetBSD-1.2 going.  I installed it (haven't had
NetBSD working before) today, got the bash binary, GNU make src, and bison
src and built these w.o. any problems and I just ported over a
co-synthesis system I have been working on and built it (although I had to
use static linking).

> can't believe on the technical problems that arise when trying to
> install a simple operating system.

`Unix' is not a simple operating system.  It is a large and mature OS.

Hrrm ;^)

> Why can't be an installer, such as windows installer, or dos installer?

The tools in the 1.2 dist. make installing relative pain-free.  Remember,
we didn't pay the folks who wrote them anything for their efforts.
Basically, I'm extremely impressed with the ease of getting a basic system
up and running considering what I payed for it.

Heck, even those who are paid for their efforts have a hard time with
making making the installation of a powerful and portable OS easy.
It was a heck of alot easier to get NetBSD going than it is to get NT
working from what my friends have told be about the experience.

So on to the problem...

I get a run-time error when compiling a C++ program and linking with
g++.  This error is a result of a symbol, "_tgetstr" that can not be found
during dynamic linking.  The symbol is needed by /usr/lib/libcurses.s0.2.1.

I made sure that there are hints for every *.so* file in my filesystem
using ldconfig.  How do I get dynamic linking to work correctly.
It sort of works because a number of system executables rely on it.

Everything goes fine when I link with the -static option but it would
be nice to have dynamic linking working.  If this is in a FAQ somewhere,
please point me to it as I wasn't able to find it in any of the FAQs
at ftp.iastate.edu.

Also, what is the most up to date FAQs (networking FAQs in particular)?
Most of the information I have found is for older versions of NetBSD
than 1.2.

-Robert Dick (dickrp%wckn.dorm.clarkson.edu@localhost)-
A3000
4 megs SC ZIPs