Re: 1.2 is sloooow....

Hi Bo,

> OK, I just upgraded to the release 1.2 and everything went fairly
> smoothly.  Unfortunately, upon finishing the install, I discovered that the
> system is noticably slower that it was before, under 1.1.  Is there a bug
> in the release kernel causing this?

Never noticed this on my systems.

> Doing a simple command like:
>
> find . -print -exec chown root {} \;

Eeek.
Never tried this.

What you want to do is
find . -print | xargs chown root

or maybe
find . -print | xargs -n20 chown root

> brings the system down to its knees.   If I do just the print without
> the exec, it seems to be fine, however  the exec expression causes it
> to process maybe 2 files a second, at most. Also, the system load shoots
> up significantly.  There has got to be something wrong here.  Please,
> suggest fixes.  I need NetBSD for my work, and it has just become too
> slow to be productive.
>
> FYI, my hardware is A3000 25MHz 68040  12Fast EMPLANT deluxe, GVP Spectrum.
>
> p.s. the speed problem is with both the release GENERIC kerel, and also
> the one I built myself here, even though mine is faster because I
> removed the soft-float option from Makefile.amiga.

Bo,

this is impossible. The kernel doesn't use floating point _at all_. The
only reason -msoft-float is in, is to generate a link error should
somebody insert floating point code by mistake.

Your kernel is probably faster because it is smaller, leaving more room
for real work. I suggest that you try to make it even smaller (e.g.,
remove options M68060 and option M060SP, M68030, M68020; remove any graphics
support other than for cc and your card; remove any device you dont have and
any emulation you won't use.

We have a lot more stuff in the kernel nowadays; your emplant driver
being only one of them.

If this doesn't help, you might want to play with the VM tuning stuff.
(like, how much buffer cache is used, how much NMBUFCLUSTERS are
allocated etc.) I'm not aware at the moment of any major changes with
these, but I was hacking at a 060 and a new machine at that time...

Regards,
        Ignatios
        Ignatios Souvatzis