Subject: Re: Release distribution files?
To: None <markus@tiger.teuto.de>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/01/1996 21:19:57
   From: "Markus Illenseer" <markus@tiger.teuto.de>
   Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:49:11 +0100

    Why is it that there is no common structure for the upcoming 1.2
   distribution file sets?  I see that most of the architectures just
   distribute (huge) tar-files, whereas the Amiga-port offers LARGE amount of
   tiny (80K), splitted tar-archives?  To me, these tiny files make no sense
   at all, anybody care to explain?

First of all, the requirements for different ports ARE different.

Many Amiga (and i386) users just use boxes of floppies to get NetBSD
to their homes; maybe the size is too small (my suggestion would have
been to use a 139 or 140k size for NetBSD (fits on 5 on 720k FAT or 6
on 880k Amiga-FFS disks), or maybe 700k (nearly nobody CAN write 880
Amiga disks at school)), but in general the idea is good.

Furthermore, you only will lose one small segment if your ftp breaks
down. And there IS mget, or auto-tarring ftpd's.

I've heard about auto-gzipping, gunzipping and -taring ftp servers, but not
about auto-splitting ones.

Regards,
	Ignatios