ppp

Help!

I am at the end of my rope.  I've read the networking and netbsd faq's and
bought Unix unleashed, the BSd4.4 system managers manual, the bsd4.4
programmers supplementary docs, and even the TCP/IP admin by Craig Hunt,
and I can't figure it out.

I had my bsd system set up to use kermit to dial my isp and then
pppd to connect.  I never had any trouble, until I decided to reinstal
my system from scratch.  Now pppd only gives me a time-out message,
i.e timeout sending config-requests.
Also, in kermit, when I try to connect, it won't echo my login name (it
used to) and it drops characters from the welcome message of my provider.
I've recompiled my kernel several times (making sure to use make clean) and
nothing seems to help, although one time it actually worked, but not since.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

jeGill%mis.net@localhost

Using A4000/040 warp engine 40 mhz, motorola 28.8 modem, netbsd 1.1,
kermit for 1.1. or kermit for 1.0, and the builtin serial port.  If i remember
correctly, this trouble started just before I switched from a Aspen 28.8exp
modem to a Motorola 28.8 modem.