Subject: Re: Problem with gcc2.7.2
To: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@gemini.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Kortelainen Mika <k125374@cs.tut.fi>
List: port-amiga
Date: 05/20/1996 03:26:02

>   I just found out something interesting about this problem.  Every time
> I have attempted to compile xinstall, I've gotten this same error.  A few
> weeks ago, I was building the entire distribution.  I had been using
> MAXBSIZE set to MAXPHYS in sys/param.h, but this time I left it at
> the original value of 16384.  Lo and behold, xinstall compiled with

I can confirm that this is true.  Some days ago I got a -current
and installed includes, then I started to compile binaries etc. and
it went cleanly over xinstall.  But I thought it was because of some
change in xinstall ;-)  Oh, I did _not_ change MAXBSIZE this time,
because I mostly wanted to see if everything builds nicely.  I got
a new drive and so I have to move partitions around and therefore it's
very nice to have sources that compile...

To be honest I haven't tried to see if xinstall fails when I change
MAXBSIZE to MAXPHYS, but most probably it will (anyway, that's the biggest
difference between my system and a clean -current...)

Now someone with enough knowledge might start to study gcc to see if
it has a bug (or if the code in xinstall relies on MAXBSIZE being of
certain size, it shouldn't use MAXBSIZE... anyway, if I remember correctly,
it is said in that header file that changing MAXBSIZE doesn't hurt).

	Mika Kortelainen